Word of Mouth Storytelling Slam: “Parents”
Friday, May 10 • 7PM ($5–Cash only at the door)
Prepare a five minutes story, based on the theme “Parents,” put your name
in a hat and you could be one of ten people selected to tell your story on stage!
How to prepare/participate . . .
- Share a five-minute story about mothers, or fathers, genetic pools; family trees,
legacies, or your quest to identify a birth parent. We want to hear all about who
you call or who calls you, ‘Mom’ or ‘Dad.’: that thing they do (or don’t do), that
joke they tell that can clear a room, or that time when being a parent was everything
you thought it would be—or maybe not so much, but definitely something else.
- Stories must be told not read-that’s right, no notes, no writing on your palm, no cue cards.
- Arrive at the slam 30 minutes before the start time to put your name in the hat.
- Once the slam starts, the host picks a name and the first storyteller tells a story.
- After each story, judges give scores based on these questions:
- Is the story on theme?
- Was it five minutes or under?
- Was there a meaningful conflict and resolution?
- At the end of the slam the storyteller with the highest score wins!