Word of Mouth: Real People. Real Stories.
BCP’s popular storytelling series is back for Fall 2019 with monthly storytelling performances, workshops, and story slams.
Whether you’ve been “just-listening” to our Word of Mouth series since 2017 or are itching to get up onstage the first time, our fall 2019 line-up has something for you. Join us for the perfect cozy night out to hear real stories told by real people, or to tell one yourself.
See you at Lambertville Hall!
Word of Mouth Storytelling Slam: “Dare”
Friday, October 11 • 7PM ($5–Cash only at the door)
Story Slams bring our Word of Mouth audience and community together to tell real stories or to hear and cheer our friends and neighbors as they share true tales from their own storied lives.
This interactive show features 10 brave aspirant storytellers and their theme-based five-minute stories. The storyteller puts their name into a “hat,” waits until the host selects their name, and then gets up onstage to slam their story. Three judging teams, selected from the audience, are on hand to help determine the slam winner.
How to prepare/participate . . .
- Share a five-minute on the theme “dare” . . . Ah, this theme is already slam-ready: do you dare to tell us a story? Come and hold us spellbound with your tales of truth, derring dos and (absolutely) don’ts. Tell us what was at stake, what it cost, or perhaps about what was gained from that time when you took a great leap of faith, jumped first and thought about it later, or reached a personal point of “it’s now or never.”
- Stories must be told not read-that’s right, no notes, no writing on your palm, no cue cards.
- Arrive at the slam 30 minutes before the start time to put your name in the hat.
- Once the slam starts, the host picks ten names and the first storyteller tells a story.
- After each story, judges give scores based on these questions . . . Is the story on theme? Was it five minutes or under? Was there a meaningful conflict and resolution?
- At the end of the slam the storyteller with the highest score wins!