The Bucks County Playhouse offers employment in its administrative offices, box office, front of house and elsewhere on the grounds. Please check back on this page to see current job openings, or send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Bucks County Playhouse, a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization, inspires, entertains, and engages audiences with professional theatrical productions of new and classic plays and musicals featuring leading artists from stage and film. We provide innovative arts education and community programs that celebrate the performing arts.
Located between Philadelphia and New York, Bucks County Playhouse opened in 1939 in a converted 1790 gristmill after a group of community activists, led by Broadway orchestrator Don Walker and playwright Moss Hart, rallied to save the building. The Playhouse quickly became one of the country’s most famous regional theaters, featuring a roster of American theatrical royalty, and remained in continuous operation until December 2010. In 2012, the Playhouse re-opened thanks to the efforts of the Bridge Street Foundation, the nonprofit family foundation of Kevin and Sherri Daugherty, and Broadway producer Jed Bernstein. In January 2014, Broadway producers Alexander Fraser and Robyn Goodman assumed the leadership roles of Producing Director and Executive Producer, respectively.
We are currently accepting resumes for the following positions:
Front of House
Bucks County Playhouse in New Hope, PA is seeking a Head Usher to join a growing organization at this thriving professional theater. BCP offers the opportunity to work alongside Tony Award-winning producers, Broadway and Hollywood actors, and countless other professional artists and managers in New Hope, Pennsylvania at what is known as “America’s Most Famous Summer Theater.”
About the Position
As a Head Usher, you will be responsible for supporting the House Manager during the run of the show. You will ensure smooth operations of the house (both the lobby and audience seating area). Head Ushers are stationed inside the theater during performances to monitor audience and volunteers.
This is an entry-level part-time (10-15 hrs/week) hourly position, reporting to the Performance Manager, and is part of the Front-of-House team. Additional hours will be available as needed in our Box Office Department. Must be willing/able to commit to additional hours with proper notification.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
* Prepares & oversees FOH during performances
* Supports House Manager in getting shows up and running
* Oversees volunteers during FOH shifts
* Assists HM with tracks programs/marketing inventory
* Assist HM manages lost & found
* Attentive & anticipates patron needs
* Late seats latecomers
* Performs other duties assigned by supervisors
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills
* Highly enthusiastic, positive minded and detail oriented
* Excellent listening skills and the ability to ask probing questions, understand concerns, and overcome objections
* Strong work ethic and self-starter, able to effectively manage multiple priorities and adapt to change within a fast-paced business environment
* Must possess a professional and friendly attitude and be able to quickly develop a rapport with customers at the theater
* Ability to learn and navigate new software quickly
* Physical mobility
* Ability to work independently & as part of a team
* Love of theater a must!
* Previous Head Usher experience a plus, but not required
To apply: Please send resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Head Usher” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Bucks County Playhouse is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Bucks County Playhouse seeks a full-time Lighting Supervisor to join our production staff. The Lighting Supervisor reports directly to the Director of Production and oversees the daily operation of the lighting department. Responsibilities include: supervising full-time and overhire staff, managing and maintaining lighting equipment, intelligent lighting maintenance, managing departmental budgets, communicating with out of town designers, programming ETC ION during technical rehearsals, and maintaining a safe working environment. The ideal candidate will have at least two years of professional experience as a Lighting Supervisor or equivalent position, ETC programming experience, excellent communications skills, and a positive attitude. Historic Bucks County Playhouse, located in beautiful New Hope, PA, is just 70 miles SW of NYC, and 40 miles NW of Philadelphia. Send letter, resume, and 3 references to Matthew Given, Director of Production at Matthewg@BCPTheater.org For further information please visit www.bcptheater.org. EOE.
Load in/Load Out & Run Crew
Interested in working backstage? Bucks County Playhouse is continuously seeking theater technicians and artists to add to our over hire crew. BCP hosts a wide variety of shows and events. Crew needs will vary and include, but are not limited to: sound, lighting, wardrobe, carpentry, properties, painting, rigging, video, run crew, and stage management. Over hire crew members are expected to be knowledgeable in the department they are working, be flexible working with other departments as needed, and adhere to safety guidelines. Please contact Tom Watson, Technical Director, email@example.com.
Bucks County Playhouse in New Hope, PA is in search of a Facilities Assistant. The Facilities Assistant, under the direction of the Facilities Manager, supports projects and regular maintenance of the historic theater, as well as several other off-site locations. This part-time position has consistent, but flexible hours and may move to full-time within the year.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Basic maintenance of building and grounds, including repair and replacement of fixtures as needed.
- Assisting in set up and/or breakdown of theater spaces and seating.
- Assuming responsibility for recurring, regularly scheduled maintenance issues.
- Maintaining a clean, safe, and welcoming facility for patrons and staff.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Basic carpentry, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, gardening and painting skills.
- Familiarity with hand and power tools.
- Basic knowledge of IT, communication, and audio/visual hardware.
- Knowledge of safe working practices and material handling.
- Organizational skills to complete duties independently and efficiently.
- Willingness to develop skills and assume responsibilities.
- Experience in or appreciation for theater and the arts.
- Lift and transport up to 50 lbs.
- Work comfortably at heights on lifts and ladders.
- Work outdoors in all seasons.
- Sustain physical activity for an entire workday.
Please send resume, cover letter, and references to Laura@bcptheater.org. Include “Facilities Assistant” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Bucks County Playhouse is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Arts Administrative Intern
Gain valuable fundamental experiences in non-profit arts operations as an Arts Administration Intern at Bucks County Playhouse. In this position, you will work with the teams from Development (fundraising/special events), Front of House (box office/audience services) and Marketing to help advance the basic operations of the organization. As an intern in the Development Office, you will help cultivate and manage relationships with donors, maintain records, contribute to research projects, and collaborate on special events. In the Marketing Department, you will assist with social media, help distribute marketing collateral and work on special research projects. As part of the front of house team, you will work with both staff members and patrons to ensure that audience ticketing needs are met and a high level of customer service is upheld. This position is available immediately thru September. Exact timing is negotiable. Weekly stipend available. This position is expected to work 15-20 hours/week on a flexible Monday-Friday schedule and should be available on some nights and weekends. Housing not available. Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.