The Hot Club of Philadelphia
with vocalist Phyllis Chapell
November 13 at 8 pm
Founded in 2011 by guitarist Barry Wahrhaftig, The Hot Club of Philadelphia is an exciting acoustic ensemble dedicated to playing ‘Gypsy Jazz’ — the musical genre pioneered by the legendary guitarist Django Reinhardt and Violinist Stephane Grappelli and their Hot Club of France Quintet. With the use of acoustic guitars, bass and violin, rather than horns and drums, the quintet added some French and Gypsy sounds and created a blend of music that is popular and accessible. The Hot Club of Philadelphia mixes the original style of these genre-breakers along with their own modern influences. The Hot Club of Philadelphia will be joined at the Playhouse by vocalist Phyllis Chapell and special guest accordion virtuoso Dave Hartl.
The group has performed throughout the region—The Kimmel Center’s PIFA Festival, The World Café Live, Sellersville Theater, WHYY-NPR, Musikfest, The Philadelphia Folk Festival, The Barnes Foundation and The Phila Museum of Art, to name a few. The Hot Club of Philadelphia released its first CD, ‘Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams,’ 2010 followed by Gypsy Routes in 2015. Their current release ‘Gypsy – Americana’ was chosen as WRTI Jazz Radio’s ‘Album of The Week, Jan of 2021. http://www.hotclubphilly.com
Please Note Before purchasing tickets: Covid-19 vaccination and face masks are required to attend this performance.
• MASKS REQUIRED: All guests must wear a properly fitting mask over the nose and mouth in the theatre except when eating or drinking in designated areas.
• VACCINATIONS REQUIRED: All guests must be fully vaccinated to enter the theatre and must present digital or physical proof at the door.
• Children under 12 and people with a medical condition or closely held religious belief that prevents vaccination may show proof of a negative COVID-19 test.
• PHOTO ID: Guests ages 18 and older must present a valid government-issued photo ID. Guests under 18 may also show a school ID, birth certificate or social security card (Photo is not required). Guests under 12 must be accompanied by an adult who meets the above requirements.
• Guests who do not comply with these policies will be denied entry to the theater.